Some of our information has moved to NT.GOV.AU
Library sector services
The library sector in the Northern Territory (NT) includes 32 public libraries, from the larger libraries at Darwin, Alice Springs, Palmerston and Katherine to smaller community libraries, including libraries in 16 Aboriginal communities.
The sector also includes tertiary education libraries, government department libraries and school libraries.
The range of services provided by the Northern Territory Library is being reviewed, but includes:
- the provision of a Territory-wide Library Management System
- operational funding for public libraries through the Public Library Funding Agreement
- funding for public library collections, purchasing support, and management of a Territory wide eResources offer
- professional learning opportunities
- advice on library service provision.
Connected Communities: Vision for Northern Territory Public Libraries 2017-2023
In 2016 the Northern Territory Government undertook a community consultation process to find out what Territorians wanted from their public library services.
Connected Communities: Vision for Northern Territory Public Libraries 2017-2023 is the result of this process and provides a framework to guide investment in public libraries over the next six years.
The 2016 community consultation report is also available.
The report identifies the value that public libraries provide to their communities in the following areas:
- Literacy and lifelong learning (early childhood literacy programs, children’s collections and spaces, adult learning programs)
- Informed and connected citizens (community meeting places, social inclusion, support for government services)
- Digital inclusion (access to internet and new technologies, skills development, eGovernment support)
- Personal development and wellbeing (community connectedness, access to information to support informed life choices)
- Stronger and more creative communities (local history and cultural collections, developing and showcasing creative talent, events and exhibitions, supporting community groups, celebrating diversity and tolerance)
- Economic and workforce development (increasing job-readiness and skills, supporting local businesses)
The Northern Territory Library will continue to work in collaboration with Territory local governments to deliver public library services which are highly valued and highly used by local communities.
For more information contact the Northern Territory Library via email at firstname.lastname@example.org
Last updated: 26 May 2017