Some of our information has moved to NT.GOV.AU
Is your club in desperate need of more officials? You’re not alone; this is a common problem for many clubs. Being able to recruit enough officials is extremely important for clubs to operate, develop and grow.
Here are a few tips that will help to recruit officials for your organisation;
- Appoint an officials development officer or manager as a point of contact for officials who could be responsible for recruitment
- Encourage parents and players to become officials and train them
- Provide quality training programs and courses to encourage people to become officials
- Outline officials roles, provide a job description and induction handbook
- Understand people’s time commitments and be flexible to their needs
- Before any new person starts in a role make sure that they have all of their questions answered and all relevant information has been made available to them
- Clubs and associations need to budget a certain amount to services and support officials
- Identify the roles of officiating that need to be filled prior to nominating teams
- Club/Association needs to assure there is a risk management plan in place and adequate training is provided to its officials in the areas of safety and risk reduction
- Clubs/Association needs to ensure that they have adequate insurance coverage and/or advise officials to take out their own insurance
- Check past and present membership lists for potential volunteers
- Provide new members with information about ways they can get involved with officiating.
- Use the local community newspaper
- Produce posters, pamphlets or flyers that promote officiating
- Organise community notices on the radio
- Promote your organisation’s officiating opportunities to schools, TAFEs and universities
- Offer young playing members the opportunity to take on the role of apprentice officials. Use existing and experienced officials as mentors
- Advertise for officials on your organisation’s website
- Try the personal approach…simply ASK!
Ideas and strategies to help you recruit officials