Some of our information has moved to NT.GOV.AU
Officiating in Australia and elsewhere, tend to have a high rate of turnover, particularly at the grass-roots level of sports. Several factors are believed, to combine, to cause the high turnover rate, including:
- Obligations to their full-time career or job take priority over officiating.
- Poor support mechanisms in place by clubs and sporting associations (i.e. lack of ongoing training, support, recognition).
- Too much time away from family, friends and social activities.
- Low pay or insufficient reimbursement for personal expenses.
- Fear of liability and other legal issues.
- Lack of opportunities to advance as an official.
- Mental and physical stress (i.e. injury or too high a workload) that may lead to burnout.
- Poor sportsmanship exhibited by players (i.e. verbal abuse, etc.).
- Pressure to perform at a high level of proficiency.
Clubs & regional associations have a strong influence at grassroots levels. Successful clubs and associations have found that the best way to retain is to insure there are resources and strategies in the following:
See below for a few tips that will help to retain officials for your organization;